Tuesday, November 13, 2012


So this week was sort of crazy since we started off the week out of our area in Regina. That always makes things interesting. Luckily, we didn't have to reschedule anything. But on our way back to Weyburn on Tuesday morning, we got a text from Bro Regnier. He asked us if we could come help him out again in Radville. He had had 20 yards of dirt/gravel dropped at one of his houses. This was before it snowed by the way. So on Wednesday we helped him with some landscaping. They have had some struggles with flooding in Radville, so he was raising his yard and making a slope up to his house. Basically we just had to move a million pounds of dirt! I don't need to make this sound so complicated! It was out of control. We were shoveling and wheel barrowing for hours! I don't think I've been more sore my entire mission! It was nuts! But Sis Regnier made us homemade pizza after, so it paid off.
 
So, while I was super sore, we also went to help a less-active member lower one of his windows. It's a massive window, so I was sure I was going to drop it. But luckily, while I was bracing for impact on top of the scaffolding, it just slid right into place. It was a close one! I would have been done for sure!
 
Also on Thursday we met with Hedley and Brandy. They are doing well. We made sure they knew what our purpose was as we come and visit them. We are helping them to read the Book of Mormon and to pray. They really wanted to be at church, but their daughter ended up getting the flu. So that didn't work out. We also met with someone we found named Chad. He's actually from the same area as Elder French. Kind of weird connection. But he's a great guy. He met with missionaries 10 years ago. He's really looking to make some changes in his life. So of course we're here to help him out. We'll see how it goes. We have an appointment with him on Thursday.
 
The huge snow storm was interesting. We have a tiny car, so we've had to dig ourselves out at least 4 times in the last few days. It's pretty crazy. It literally snowed nonstop all day Saturday! We were out knocking doors, and we saw this lady shoveling snow. We offered to help, and she just kind of looked at us. She thought about it for a while, she looked at her shovel and said, "why is this so hard for me? I think it's because I have 2 boys inside that are probably just playing video games." We laughed and said that if she let us help she would be justified when she beat them up! OK, we said something along those lines. She's super nice, we helped her for a while. Turns out she's from New York. She laughed and told us that she wonders why she's up here sometimes, but her husband is Canadian. While we were working, her son came out and helped. He's hilarious. I guess he was sleeping. After we  finished, we talked for a minute. Patty, the lady, says that she doesn't fully agree with the doctrine of the Catholic church, so her and her husband have been floating between different religions. She knew a bit about the church. We talked about the Book of Mormon, and she said she was excited for us to come by again. And so am I!
 
Yesterday, we went over to Laurie and Shane's to have lunch and play games. I hadn't eaten with investigators before, so it was a good experience. Plus they are just a hilarious family. They would have been at church, but Chase their little boy stayed up until 3 in the morning. It was his birthday party, and I guess he was a bit riled up! So he was impossible to get up on Sunday morning. He's a funny kid. He will wrestle with Shane, and he likes to do the hammer punch. We were teasing him about it yesterday, and he informed us that we were saying it wrong. It's hammer fist. We played Monopoly, which was super funny. It was a Canadian and an electronic version. Shane is super competitive, so it was just funny to hear all of his comments. I was doing pretty well, so everyone cheered when I got sent to jail. It was really great. My technique was just to buy pretty much everything I landed on. I thought I would go bankrupt in the first 10 minutes.
 
Well, that's about all I've got. Thanks for all the packages and birthday wishes. It's pretty great. I'll have to sing "As Zion's youth in latter days" a couple times in companion study before it's no longer applicable. I sure love you all and hope you have a great week!
 
Love,
Elder C. Lyons


No comments:

Post a Comment