Monday, February 25, 2013


So this week was been pretty different. We had a super long drive to get to Winnipeg. It was the worst leaving Weyburn. Tuesday night was the last night that I got to teach the Crowther's. It was by far one of the toughest days of my mission! Brandy made me a cake. It was really good. I'll send pictures later. I accidentally forgot my cord. Brandy said the closing prayer. She was choking up....yeah that didn't help me out any. But at least Elder Call is in Winnipeg with me. It was good to catch up with him. Actually my whole MTC group is in the city, so it's pretty neat.
 
Winnipeg is a whole lot bigger than Weyburn. It was so bad, I basically just got handed the keys and had to start learning everything. We got lost at least 20 times the first day! It was so frustrating! But on the bright side it helped us both to have a spiritual experience early on in our companionship. We got lost for maybe the 15th time, and we were trying to get back to the apartment. Elder Burnett suggested that we pull over and say a prayer. We did. I felt much better....then we got lost again. But this time a man walked up to the the truck (yeah we got a truck!) and gave us directions. We must have looked obviously confused.
 
So you may have gathered, my new companion's name is Elder Burnett. He towers over me and stands at 6'6". He is 19, and he is from Goodyear, Arizona. So, yeah, it's been super warm this week, and he's dying! ha ha...poor guy. I've been serving with Albertans, so it's weird to hear someone complaining about the cold. Basically the best description I've got for Elder Burnett is that he reminds me a lot of my cousin Steven. So he's pretty great. It's a challenge training though. It's weird having to explain everything I do. "It's not that complicated you just put the toothpaste on your toothbrush"...ha ha, okay, it's not that bad. But I guess a lot of missionary stuff has just become second nature.
 
Whitewashing has also been a challenging experience. Along with getting lost driving around, I'm a little lost with who we should work with and what not. Yesterday, some homesickness for Weyburn hit really, really hard. I love Weyburn so much, so it's been rough adjusting. But there's some great members. I just have to give it time, so I can get to know them.
 
One neat thing that we got to do this week is the English study class we have. I got to teach English. It was really humbling cause I learned that I'm awful at teaching. I'm afraid it was a bit like dry toast for my students, ha ha. Still a good experience for me. It will be good being able to work with other missionaries and be able to get some more ideas and what not. But that's all I've got for today. I love you all! Have a great week!
 
Love,
Elder C. Lyons

No comments:

Post a Comment